Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Best Holiday Movies

Call me old-fashioned but I prefer the classic holiday films to more recent additions. When watching holiday movies, I want films that are heartwarming. I don’t mind some humor but I have no patience with holiday films that are snide or include “Frat Pack” humor. For example, I won’t watch something like “Elf” or “Fred Claus.” I prefer “White Christmas” or “A Christmas Story.”

Here, then, are my top holiday movies. The list is in alphabetical order because I can’t possibly rank one over another.

1. The Bishop’s Wife – Cary Grant, David Niven and Loretta Young
2. A Charlie Brown Christmas
3. A Christmas Carol – George C. Scott, Roger Rees, David Warner
4. A Christmas Story – Peter Billingsley
5. How the Grinch Stole Christmas – Boris Karloff narrating
6. Miracle on 34th Street – Maureen O’Hara, Edmund Gwinn, Natalie Wood
7. Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer – Rankin & Bass classic
8. White Christmas – Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney
9. The Year Without a Santa Claus – Rankin & Bass classic


I’ll also give a nod to the following films, which include Christmas or New Year’s celebrations.

1. Bell, Book and Candle – Kim Novak, James Stewart, Jack Lemmon, Ernie Kovacs
2. Die Hard – Bruce Willis, Alan Rickman
3. When Harry Met Sally – Billy Crystal, Meg Ryan, Carrie Fisher

No comments:

Post a Comment