Friday, March 22, 2013

An Update

I haven't posted here in a while, and I know that's not the most clever title I could have given this post. To be quite honest about it, I'm at a loss for a topic on this post. But, I'm going to plunge ahead and do some writing, just to see what shakes out.

The holidays treated us fairly well this past year. We didn't travel to see family during the holiday season, but we did meet friends for dinner and a movie on Christmas Eve. That was a lot of fun, and it's becoming a Christmas tradition.

Right after that, Jen caught the flu, which turned into bronchitis. So, our New Year's was quiet and spent at home while she followed the doctor's orders to rest and recuperate. Where the time between then and now went is completely beyond me.

Ten days ago, we lost our cat, Geoffrey. He was about 15 and had a lot of health problems that finally got the best of the veterinarians. We'd been treating his diabetes with insulin, but other conditions like pancreatitis and heart disease made controlling his insulin levels a challenge. It's been tough because our cats are the closest we'll get to having kids. We lost our younger cat in November 2011, and now we're cat-less for a while.

We've lived in our current apartment since moving to NYC, and our lease has a clause saying we can't get more cats if anything happens to the two we had. Once we've given ourselves time to mourn losing our boy, we'll talk with the landlord about changing that clause. If he doesn't agree, we'll need to start apartment hunting. I'm sure some people would think that's a crazy reason to move, but it makes perfect sense to us.

We're in a duplex and he lives downstairs, so he'd know if we got more cats. Plus, he's talking about retiring in a year, and he mentioned he might sell when he does. So, we might need a new place to live anyway, even if he does allow us to get more cats.

On a more pleasant note, our 20th anniversary is rapidly approaching. After the whopping big vet bill we just had, we're not sure what we'll do for our 20th. Whatever we choose, I know it will be a great day. Every day with Jen is a great one, no matter what else is happening.

I'm terrible at imagining the future and what it will bring, so I never do well with that quiz about "Where do you see yourself in five years?" I simply can't envision where I'll live or what I'll do for work five years from now. However, I do know that Jen and I will be together then. That's the one thing I'm certain of.

No comments:

Post a Comment