Monday, January 3, 2011

Looking Forward

I am not the kind of person that makes New Year’s resolutions, for several reasons. On those occasions when I made them, I usually failed to keep them. And, I would rather look at each day as a chance to make a new start. I don’t have to wait for a new year, a new month or even a Monday to make improvements or rededicate myself to the things that matter. I can do that at any time. Like most people, though, I’m not as dedicated to that principle as I should be. But, each day has that potential and change doesn’t have wait for the “right date” on the calendar.

While I resist the urge to make resolutions for the coming year, the turning of a calendar does prompt some self-reflective moments. And, I’m not immune to the calendar’s effects. Rather than making a list of things I’ll do differently or better in the coming year, I want to focus on what I already have. This idea is prompted by a friend who used the month of November to count her blessings and be thankful each day for something she has. I’ll try doing something similar for the month of January. My hope is that reflecting on what I already have will motivate me to make better choices in the coming year, since I do have so many blessings already.

I’m trying to decide which blessing should start my list. I have so much to be thankful for and picking one to start the new year is difficult. So, I’ll start with the most obvious item: Jen. I am incredibly blessed to have Jen in my life. I truly never thought I would find someone to spend my life with. I always assumed I’d be one of those eternally single people. I thought I’d have a career, a small apartment and a cat for company. Maybe a few close friends to meet occasionally for dinner or a movie. But, I always assumed most of my time would be spent alone. I never imagined my life would be filled with love, laughter and a shared vision of a life together. I can survive the tough challenges because Jen helps me get through them. And, the good times are that much better with her laughter as their soundtrack and her sparkling, blue eyes illuminating them.

It’s fitting that Jen starts my list of blessings, since so many of the things I enjoy stem from our marriage. Here’s to a bright new year, when we will celebrate our 18th anniversary!

No comments:

Post a Comment